So I may have previously mentioned that Lucy is very into the Human Body at the moment. We ordered this book last week and it arrived on Saturday. The book is amazing and well worth the 2.20 I paid for it. It has simple pictures of the body as if it were a machine and explains things clearly and sensibly.
This morning we sat down and looked at the digestive system and 5 minutes later we were in the kitchen mushing a banana through a fake digestive system! Lucy thought it was hilarious especially squeezing the bottle to make the fake poo come out. We also found this site which explains the process very well.
I didn't take pictures our experiment this morning but if anyone wants to try it this is how we did it.
1) Add some food to a bowl (we used a chopped banana)
2)The bowl acts as the mouth use a hand blender for teeth and start grinding up the food, add some water which will act as saliva.
3) When it is suitably mushy pour the mixture into a bottle (food pipe) with the bottom cut away . Have another bowl (stomach) underneath filled with water (stomach acid. If you want add green food colouring to the water. When all the mixture is in the stomach, smoosh it around a bit more.
4) You now need a smallish bottle with a couple of tiny holes pricked into the side. This is your small intestine.
Slowly pour the contents of the stomach into the small intestine when it is all in you can if you want add a couple of drops of paint/food colouring or oil to act as the digestive juices.
5) Now hold the bottle on its side and squeeze gently. Some drops will come out of the small holes. This is the useful particles from the food being taken by the body and used elsewhere.
6) Larger bottle with small holes again for the large intestine ..pour in contents and squeeze to show some water being removed which then becomes part of your blood. You are then left with a lumpy mixture (browny red if you use food colouring) it was a bit too sloppy (TMI) so I added 2 cups of porridge oats and we had made a poo!!!
7) Hold the large bottle upside down over a mixing bowl (toilet :D) and squeeze the bottle squeezes out the poo and that is the end of the process.
I hope this makes sense!!